You’ve likely seen the signs outside your local drugstore to come inside and get your annual flu shot.
Many people don’t realize that this year’s flu shot is based on last year’s strain. By the time we get the shot, there’s a good chance the virus may have evolved and shifted strains altogether.
In the meantime, there are lots of ways to boost our immune system and keep our bodies healthy during the flu season:
- Vitamin D: The sun can give us much-needed vitamin D, but believe it or not, many of us here in the “Valley of the Sun” are still deficient. If you get sick often, have your doctor check for vitamin D deficiency. Make sure your multivitamin also includes vitamin D, especially this time of year.
- De-Stress: Flu season is unfortunately also the most stressful time of year for a lot of us, which can be a big drain on your immune system. Make sure to check your anxiety and stress levels while you’re running around for the holidays.
- IV Drips: These drips with Vitamin C and other virus-battling ingredients give your body a boost in your fight against the flu. Added bonus, close your eyes and relax while you let the drip do the work. Less stress helps our bodies fight off sickness too.
- UV Light Therapy: Light therapy is another way to help kill the flu virus and prevent it from taking hold.
- Black Elderberry: This immune-supporting herbal supplement can help you recover faster, and it tastes good too!
- Eat: With cooler temperatures and lots of holiday parties, many of us can admit to eating worse this time of year. Be sure to limit your sugar intake and eat your greens as possible to arm your body with the nutrients it needs.
- Drink: It may not be scorching hot anymore, but that doesn’t mean you can ease up on your water intake! Keep your body hydrated at all times to keep it performing at its best.
- Sleep: Sleep deprivation can lead to a weakened immune system. Make sure to catch up on those Z’s
Written by: Dr. Laura Glenn, Rejuvena Health & Aesthetics
Rejuvena Health and Aesthetics helps patients look and feel their best using a revolutionary, integrative approach that includes all aspects of both naturopathic and aesthetic medicine. Rejuvena believes that total body wellness encompasses both the inside and the outside, and that your appearance is a direct reflection of what’s going on beneath the surface. Rejuvena offers the latest regenerative medicine techniques to resolve pain, enhance tissue and wrinkle repair, customized diet plans, organic whole food based supplements and detoxification therapies. To learn more, visit werejuvenate.com or contact 480-551-9000.