It’s almost family travel season! In a new series we are kicking off, valley mom, blogger and writer Nadine Bubeck (aka Mama B.) will showcase a fabulous destination-providing a “Highlighted 5” traveling hot-spots for upcoming family vacations.
In the first look at the series, Nadine takes a look at one of Southern California’s most popular destinations, Huntington Beach, California.
Huntington Beach is pristine, well-kept, totally cool, family-friendly, and downright chill. Offering the most authentic surf lifestyle coupled with ten miles of uninterrupted coastline, Surf City USA boasts a wide variety of outdoor activities, boutique shopping, unbeatable dining, and lots of fun.
Here’s your “Hi-5” for the SoCal getaway; 5 things to check off your list.
- Where to stay:
- Downtown’s Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel boasts a $3-million makeover. The boutique beachfront base camp is situated just steps from the Huntington Beach Pier. You’ll love this California oasis, featuring a surfer vibe, open-air lobby, fire pits and more. Opt for a spacious room with a beach view and oversized balcony. They even offer beach chairs and towels! You can even ask the staff to baby-proof the room.
- Where to play:
- Charter a Duffy boat at Huntington Harbor Boat Rentals. Board your personal Duffy, an oversized, super comfortable, electric boat with a top shade and optional windows. Cruise through the harbor and drool over the multi-million-dollar mansions that line the waterway. Make sure to pack a lunch.
- After sunbathing on the beach and admiring the surfers, walk the esteemed Huntington Beach Pier. Opened in 1904, it is one of the longest recreational piers on the West Coast. At the end, grab a milkshake at Ruby’s before heading back.
- Where to feast:
- Do like the locals and eat at Sugar Shack Café. The family-owned breakfast gem is a surfer hangout, so it’s likely you’ll be seated near a surf pro. End your day eating at Pacific City, the area’s newest shopping and dining district. It’s a chic retail hub featuring patio dining, outdoor movie nights and sitting areas.
- Skip to dessert! (Dinner is overrated anyway.) Dedicate an evening to a beach bonfire and s’mores with Waterfront Adventures. Marshmallow roasting at its finest- the s’mores concierge preps everything; seating, the fire and food! Just show up, indulge and enjoy.
- What to bring:
- It’s the beach, so prep for sun or overcast skies. In addition to the obvious (bathing suits, cover ups, etc), bring warmer clothes for chilly mornings and nights. Bringing baby? TheSüni Anti-UV Sun & Play Tent is perfect for the beach, as it protects your child from the sun (UVA and UVB rays), sand and wind. Also smart to bring a beach wagon. The Keenz “stroller wagon” is uber luxurious, safely sits two kids, flaunts a canopy, optional beach wheels AND a cooler.
- Don’t forget:
- To really see the lay of the land, rent a Surrey Bike (you know, those bikes that fit your entire family). You can ride all the way to Newport Beach, sightseeing paradise along the way. There’s a great bike path- just get ready to pedal! For rentals, visit Zack’s HB Concession Stand.
Written by: Nadine Bubeck
Nadine Bubeck is a TV Personality, author, lifestyle blogger, and fashion designer, having founded Mama B. Designs: boutique apparel that benefits March of Dimes. The Valley-based parenting contributor is a blessed boy mom times three. (nadinebubeck.com)