In the United States, the average coffee consumption is 3.2 cups of coffee per day. Many coffee lovers also load up their drinks with high amounts of sugar, sweeteners, and creamers that contain harmful chemicals and can cause blood sugar problems, weight gain and risk of heart disease.
In addition, many of those coffee drinkers are unaware that drinking coffee during the summer months can lead to quicker dehydration and decrease the body’s essential electrolytes. When people become dehydrated due to too much sun exposure and coffee drinking, it can cause fatigue, poor appetite, dizziness, kidney stones and other dangerous symptoms.
- Green Smoothie
- Want to get an energy boost while also adding more leafy greens into your diet? Try a green smoothie with spinach, barley greens and avocado. It’s an easy way to boost both your vegetable intake and energy levels, due to all the nutrients and antioxidants that vegetables contain.
- Matcha Green Tea Powder
- Matcha green tea powder is the whole green tea leaf that is stone-ground into a fine powder. Matcha contains caffeine that will give you an energy boost without leaving you with the “jitters”. It also contains L-theanine which promotes waves in the brain to enhance concentration, boost mental health and improve memory. You can drink matcha tea by dissolving the powder into water.
- Protein-Based Smoothie
- Providing your body with more protein can boost focus and concentration. You can add in supplements like chia seeds, hemp, nut butter, collagen or protein powder for an extra boost.
- Yerba Mate
- Yerba Mate is an herbal beverage made from the leaves of a dried Yerba Mate plant. One serving of the drink contains about three-fourths of the caffeine in a cup of coffee, while also providing your body with amino acids and nutrients.
- Drinking adequate amounts of pure water daily will benefit your body in many ways. Proper hydration has even been proven to help people become more alert and improve concentration. You can add slices of cucumbers, orange, lemon and other fruits and vegetables to add refreshing flavor to your water.
Written by: Judy Nicassio, Lead Nutritionist at Rejuvena Health & Aesthetics
Rejuvena Health and Aesthetics helps patients look and feel their best using a revolutionary, integrative approach that includes all aspects of both naturopathic and aesthetic medicine. Rejuvena believes that total body wellness encompasses both the inside and the outside, and that your appearance is a direct reflection of what’s going on beneath the surface. Rejuvena offers the latest regenerative medicine techniques to resolve pain, enhance tissue and wrinkle repair, customized diet plans, organic whole food based supplements and detoxification therapies. To learn more, visit werejuvenate.com or 480-551-9000.