By: Tisha Morgan
Summertime is here and the snacking is easy. We’re in our bathing suits and lounging in our pools. When the sun is shining and your days are focused on fun by the pool, there’s little time to think about prepping food for the day. You want easy and satisfying snacks to keep you outside as much as possible. Keeping food healthy and quick is key to a perfect summer day. Here are three of my family’s favorite delicious snacks perfect for hot summer days.
Baked Kale Chips
Makes: 4 servings, about 2 cups each
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
1 large bunch kale, tough stems removed, leaves torn into pieces (about 16 cups; see tips and notes)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Position racks in upper third and center of oven; preheat to 400°F.
2. If kale is wet, very thoroughly pat dry with a clean kitchen towel; transfer to a large bowl. Drizzle the kale with oil and sprinkle with salt. Using your hands, massage the oil and salt onto the kale leaves to evenly coat. Fill two large rimmed baking sheets with a layer of kale, making sure the leaves don’t overlap. (If the kale won’t all fit, make the chips in batches.)
3. Bake until most leaves are crisp, switching the pans back to front and top to bottom halfway through, 8 to 12 minutes total. (If baking a batch on just one sheet, start checking after 8 minutes to prevent burning.)
Tips & Notes
• Make ahead tip: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two days.
• Choose organic kale when possible. Non-organic can have high pesticide residue.
Fruit & Yogurt Pops
Makes: Serves 8
1 & 3/4 cups Vanilla Greek Yogurt
1/3 cup blueberries
1. In a bowl, combine the blueberries and strawberries. Mash with a fork until coarsely crushed.
2. Layer the yogurt and fruit mixture in the ice-pop molds.
3. Drag a toothpick or skewer through the mixture to create a swirl effect.
4. Insert ice-pop sticks and freeze until firm, at least three hours.
5. Remove ten minutes prior to serving to soften slightly.
Greek Yogurt Dip
1 cup plain non-fat Greek style yogurt
1 avocado, finely chopped
½ cup chopped tomatoes
½ cup cucumber, finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried dill
½ teaspoon garlic powder
Salt to taste
Mix everything together in a small bowl. Chill and serve with crackers or veggies.
Tisha Morgan is a health coach helping individuals and families switch out their everyday toxic products for a more healthy/clean alternative. She is currently in the process of obtaining her Health Coach License. Tisha lives in the Norterra area with her husband and two daughters. For additional information on living a health/clean alternative, she can be contacted at Tam0828@hotmail.com.